ICE, federal partners arrest 133 alien offenders during enhanced operation in New York
BUFFALO, N.Y. — U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement and federal law enforcement partners apprehended 133 illegal aliens during an enhanced targeted enforcement operation focusing on criminal illegal alien offenders and other immigration violators in western, central, and northern New York to bolster public safety, national security and border security March 24-28.
“By leveraging our federal partnerships and intelligence-driven investigations, ICE continues to carry out its mission in a way that best serves national security, public safety and border security,” said ICE Enforcement and Removal Operations Buffalo acting Deputy Field Office Director Philip Rhoney. “I am grateful for the professionalism, dedication and support from all of our partners during this week-long operation to remove dangerous alien offenders from our New York communities.”
ICE and federal partners concentrated their efforts in and around the Buffalo area, but operations extended throughout western and upstate New York. Operations led to arrests of 84 illegal aliens from the Buffalo and Rochester areas, and 49 illegal aliens from Syracuse, Albany, Rouses Point, and Massena.
“The success of this enhanced enforcement operation underscores the importance of utilizing a whole-of-government approach when protecting the public from criminal aliens and dangerous individuals living in our western, central, and northern New York communities,” said ICE Homeland Security Investigations Buffalo Special Agent in Charge Erin Keegan. "Standing side-by-side with our partners, ICE HSI will utilize every tool at our disposal to ensure the safety and security of New Yorkers. I commend our partners from the FBI, CBP, USBP, ATF, DEA, DSS, and USMS for their unwavering collaboration in support of this vital mission.”
Of those arrested, 20 had criminal convictions or charges including three who were convicted of homicide. Nine of the arrests were of aliens who have been previously removed from the United States.
Four criminal search warrants were executed during the operation. They were executed during the worksite enforcement component of the operation for federal violations of bringing in and harboring certain aliens and resulted in multiple bookings and records seizures as well as 18 administrative arrests for violations of immigration law.
Among those arrested during the enhanced targeted operation include:
- A 49-year-old illegal alien from Trinidad and Tobago convicted of murder.
- A 66-year-old illegal alien from the Dominican Republic convicted of course of sexual conduct with a child.
- A 32-year-old illegal alien from El Salvador convicted of murder and gang assault.
- A 70-year-old illegal alien from the Dominican Republic convicted of manslaughter and criminal sale of controlled substance.
- A 50-year-old illegal alien from China convicted of assault.
- A 42-year-old illegal alien from Mexico convicted of conspiracy to possess with intent to distribute methamphetamine.
- A 24-year-old illegal alien from Ecuador with several convictions for DWI.
- A 43-year-old H-2A visa holder from South Africa charged with distribution and possession of child pornography.
Partner law enforcement agencies participating in the operation were FBI Buffalo; FBI Albany; Drug Enforcement Administration New York; U.S. Customs and Border Protection Buffalo; Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives New York; U.S. Marshals Service Buffalo; USCIS Fraud Detection and National Security; Department of State Diplomatic Security Service; and the U.S. Attorney’s Offices for the Western and Northern Districts of New York.
Members of the public can report crimes and suspicious activity by dialing 866-347-2423 or completing ICE’s online tip form.
Learn more about ERO Buffalo’s mission to preserve public safety on X, @EROBuffalo.